December 30, 2011

New Addition to the Family

No, this is not a baby post. This is a post about a piece of furniture that makes me so happy it has become a part of our family. Yes, I love it that much.

Our kitchen has only one wall of cabinets. On the other wall is where I had this ugliness.


Please excuse the trash that sorely needed to be taken out.


I had been perusing Craigslist forever looking for a piece of furniture, preferably a buffet to fit this wall. Well all of the buffets I ran across were too wide for my odd length of a wall (46"). Then one fateful evening my Aunt and I dropped in on a little shop in Moberly called Endless Possibilities. It's basically a flea market in a store. They always have new and unique things. After borrowing a tape measure from the store owner I found this (can you believe it!) BUFFET!!!!

This buffet dropped down from heaven I tell ya! And the owners had it marked at $150... Womp womp. Remember that whole money is tight, paying for school, thing? Yeah, this buffet didn't fit into that budget. Luckily the owner happened to be at the store and he brought it down from $150 to $100 for me. The cheap-o in me still though it was a little high. So the scaredy cat Olivia went home without the buffet. All the while wondering if it would be there if I went back, could I find something better on CL, would I ever find something to fit that gosh dern wall?!??!??!?

Ok long story made a tad bit shorter I had my aunt go back and pay for it the next day. Also since my birthday is coming up, she and my grandma both put in $20 so this bad buffet rang in at $68 after taxes.



 
I cannot put into words how much this buffet adds to the kitchen. It has almost doubled my counter space, I now have a place to prepare things and use my mixer and it gave me a ton of additional storage! LOVE!

I'm not sure if I'll refinish it or not... still contemplating. This night-time picture really does not do it justice. Oh and that filled to the brim ledge above it either. The funniest part of this story... when Eric and I went to go pick it up I asked him what he thought and he said "Well it isn't what I was expecting." I replied with a what do you mean? He said he was expecting an actual buffet like at a restaurant. That got a few snorting laughs from me as I pictured a 24-hour buffet in our kitchen. Dream on buddy! Ah boys, gotta love 'em!

1 comment: